Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Aberdeen, Scotland

Aberdeen - 

Below I have a picture of the University of Aberdeen. It really is quite a pretty university. Well, some buildings anyway. My friend who goes there just showed me 'the nice ones' apparently. Hahaha. 

Aberdeen University

According to her, the city of Aberdeen is a nice place to live in - but only for the company. I didn't get her at first. Not until I arrived in the city and saw it for myself. 

When I arrived, I hailed a taxi to take me to her student accommodation. And on the way there, I could not help but realise that every (I'm not exaggerating here) building was GREY. It was really rather perplexing. I thought I was imagining it at first. But she clarified with me that perpetually every building in this city is made of granite. 

The only saving grace she says - is that sometimes, when the sun actually does shine, it... sort of sparkles. 

Blows your mind doesn't it? ahahhaa. 

But it is a rather gloomy place. Grey cobblestones, grey buildings, grey sky.... EVERYTHING, is grey. And honestly, I think, during winter, it can be a little bit of a depressing city. The sun hardly ever comes out apparently. 

But I don't think that's all that there is to it. They do have a gem in the city:

Aberdeen beach
The beach. It's a fantastic place to hang out, to walk your dog, and the likes. I imagine having wonderful picnics here too. What's good about it, is that it is a sandy beach. My friend didn't really understand why I was so glad to see sand per se, but I basically told her that for most of England, the beaches are just rock beaches. I.e. that it's just pebbles. I don't know how to explain this exactly, but take a trip down to Brighton, and you'll get what I mean. 

Aberdeen.. I agree with her. Not a place to visit unless you have the company. There's nothing much to see in this place at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment